In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
However, a number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
You can now buy beer from many pubs and breweries via CAMRA's new Brew2You app. Click on the logo to download the app.
According to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, between 1844 and 1912 the parish had 4 pubs and 1 beerhouse. So we clearly have a few to find...
Several Roman remains have been made around Stanway green. The font cover is said to be from Bury abbey. Also housed in the church is a fire-engine from 1760 (last used on 5 Nov 1927) and a 15 foot long spit which was used to roast a 50 stone ox during George III's golden jubilee celebrations. The church is also notable for the great span of the double hammer-beam roof.
Mill Road marks the site of two windmils; the New Mill, a post mill moved here from Hasketon circa 1850. It was demolished about 1950. The Old Mill dated from 1730. It was redundant by 1908 and demolished in 1942.
Worlingworth Station stood at the junction of Water Lane and Fingal Street; it was on the Mid-Suffolk line (Middy) which ran from Haughley to Laxfield.
The village was recorded in Domesday as "Wyrlingwortha".
The Listed Buildings Register claims that School House (in Shop Street) was "at one time a shop and The Crown public house"…
In 1861 census at The Shop - James Clarke/40y/Grocer & draper & wine & spirit merchant/Worlingworth
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists George Young (Crown?) (& boot & shoe maker) as a beer retailer.
The 1874 White's Directory also lists George Youngs (Crown?) (& bootmaker) as a beer house keeper.
The 1888 Kelly's Directory also lists John Bollingham as a beer retailer.
The 1900 Kelly's Directory also lists Alfred Adams as a beer retailer.
The 1912 Kelly's Directory also lists Frederick Chapman as a beer retailer.
The 1913 Hoxne licensing records show Frederick Chapnam running an u…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.