2 Establishment(s) understood to have reopened.
Please tell us if you know of any pubs ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted that we don't list here.
Today a thoroughfare village on A12, though the nucleus originally laid on the green to the west. Unusual in retaining the same name recorded in Domesday. The Five Bells in South Cove is sometimes said to be inside Wrentham parish.
The church tower was used as a signal station during the Napoleonic war is still situated there. The Brewster family of the now demolished (in 1810) 16th century Hall helped to make this a Puritan centre during the final years of the 16th cent. A post mill stood south of the main settlement (near the present A12) until it was blown down in 1931. Another tower mill stood on Southwold Road until its demolition in 1964.
The Shop Museum is set out as a local 'corner' shop of the type that could be have been found up and down the country 50 to 80 years ago. It contains the goods, equipment, ledgers and display items that would have been on sale and part of our everyday life prior to the days of supermarkets, freezers and the mass ownership of the motor car.
The Real Ale Shop on Priory Farm closed in (we think) early 2010.
The 1841 Census also lists Samuel Fisk (Publican, Head/65y/born Suffolk).
The 1844 White's Directory also lists four beer houses - one in Chipperfield Rd (also butchers) the others run by William Baxter, Rebecca Dade, Samuel Fisk.
The 1855 White's Directory also lists two beer houses run by John Lambert and John Woolnough (blacksmith).
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists John Waters and John Woolnough as beer retailers.
The 1874 White's Directory John Walters is also listed as a beer house keeper.
The 1888 Kelly's Directory also lists Charles Fuller King's Head? as a beer retailer.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.