A large village on the crossroads of two main roads, known as the "garden of Suffolk". Katherine, the sister of Lady Jane Grey was confined in Cockfield hall until her death in 1567. Beside the A1120 to the north west of the churchyard stands an interesting old ironwork signpost with the town names fretworked into the arms and directions indicated by pointing fingers.
Little now remains of the large post mill which stood east of Main Road since early in the 19th century and was demolished about 1900, with the remnants incorporated into a house. The Deserted Mediaeval Village of Hopton was located in the area north of Middleton Road.
The village was recorded in Domesday as "Gokesford" or "Lokesfort".
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 15 April 1749 states : An Alehouse in Yoxford, now in the Occupation of Widow Broom, with a Butcher's Shop, suitable Outhouses and Conveniences, together with about four Acres of good Pasture and Arable Land to be sold. Enquire of Mr John Farr, Attorney at Law at Beccles. NB Mr Farr has a good Drawing House at Beccles, near the Common, and with a Right of Commonage, now to be lett, the Rent not exceeding Five Pounds.
The 1844 White's Directory also lists a Temperance Hotel run by John Cattermole.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.