The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
4 closed premises
1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Yoxford: 726.
Local licensing authority for Yoxford is East Suffolk.
A large village on the crossroads of two main roads, known as the "garden of Suffolk". Katherine, the sister of Lady Jane Grey was confined in Cockfield hall until her death in 1567. Beside the A1120 to the north west of the churchyard stands an interesting old ironwork signpost with the town names fretworked into the arms and directions indicated by pointing fingers.
Little now remains of the large post mill which stood east of Main Road since early in the 19th century and was demolished about 1900, with the remnants incorporated into a house. The Deserted Mediaeval Village of Hopton was located in the area north of Middleton Road.
The village was recorded in Domesday as "Gokesford" or "Lokesfort".
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.