This large village on the outskirts of Ipswich used to have 6 or 7 pubs, but these days is sadly down to just one. It was recorded in Domesday as "Brunfort" or "Branfort". The river Gipping was a busy navigable waterway during the 19th century. Bramford Railway Station was originally on the Eastern Union Railway (later the Great Eastern Main Line) but closed in 1955. The original station was a wooden structure just north of Ship Lane, but it was destroyed about 1911 when a spark from a passing train set it on fire. Subsequently a brick-built station was constructed to the south of the road.
The group of large buildings on the west side of Papermill Lane, where the river comes close to it, made up the world's first complete superphosphate factory, set up by Edward Packard between 1851 and 1854. This marked the beginning of the use of artificial fertilisers. The north warehouse is believed to be Suffolk's largest Listed Building, though sadly it's in a terrible state of dilapidation these days.
The 1851 Census lists Samuel Kerridge (Beer Seller, Mill Lane, pub not named, Head/Unmarried/55/born Coddenham).
The 1855 White's Directory lists Samuel Kerridge as a beer house keeper.
The 1869 Kelly's Directory lists Robert Mayes as a beer retailer.
The 1891-92 White's Directory Nathaniel Catchpole as a brewer (in Ipswich) (with home at Whitehouse) and also lists lists William Potter as a beer retailer (also listed as a shopkeeper) (Ipswich Road).
The 1900 Kelly's Directory lists Mrs Emma Taylor as a beer retailer.
The 1912 Kelly's Directory lists Mrs Emma Taylor as a beer retailer.
The Orwell lic…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.