The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
1 Real Ale pub
1 putative ex pub
Closed brewery (post-1970)
Population (2011) of Bramford: 2303.
Local licensing authority for Bramford is Mid Suffolk.
This large village on the outskirts of Ipswich used to have 6 pubs, but these days is sadly down to just one. It was recorded in Domesday as "Brunfort" or "Branfort". The river Gipping was a busy navigable waterway during the 19th century. Bramford Railway Station was originally on the Eastern Union Railway (later the Great Eastern Main Line) but closed in 1955. The original station was a wooden structure just north of Ship Lane, but it was destroyed about 1911 when a spark from a passing train set it on fire. Subsequently a brick-built station was constructed to the south of the road.
The group of large buildings on the west side of Papermill Lane, where the river comes close to it, made up the world's first complete superphosphate factory, set up by Edward Packard between 1851 and 1854. This marked the beginning of the use of artificial fertilisers. The north warehouse is believed to be Suffolk's largest Listed Building, though sadly it's in a terrible state of dilapidation these days.
The site of the former Crown, which in the 19th century was listed as being in Bramford is now within the boundaries of Ipswich, having also at one time been in Whitton parish. The pub itself has been demolished and replaced by a car showroom.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.