Still a very rural area, Alpheton was founded, it is believed, by Aefflead, whose husband Byrthnoth, Earl of Essex, was killed at the battle of Maldon, on the Blackwater River in Essex, in 991. Aefflead was also the sister-in-law of the Saxon king Edmund the Elder and following the battle and death of her husband, she moved northwards from Maldon and settled in what was originally called Aefflead's tun or estate and probably lived on the site of the local Hall. Alpheton was recorded in Domesday as "Alfreton"; the 1838 OS map shows the village as "Alpheaton".
One notable son of Alpheton was William Debenham (1794-1863), founder of the shop chain.
Work on the nearby airfield (also known as Lavenham Airfield) was completed by 1943. The 487th Bombardment group was subsequently based there (Liberators & B17s). The film "12 O'Clock High" was later based upon them.
Bridge Street is a nearby hamlet that is half in the Parish of Alpheton and half in the Parish of Long Melford.
The 1881 Census lists the Tye Out Door Beer House, George Scarff, (Ag. Labr. Horseman, Head/Married/40/born Great Waldringfield) Beer House?
In 1888 Kelly's Directory George Scarff is also listed as a beer retailer Beer House?
In 1891-92 White's Directory George Scarff is also listed as a beerhouse keeper (Tye) Beer House?