Burnt Fen

app

In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.

A number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the Covid-19 lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.

If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.

Introduction

Now a dry parish. A remote and isolated area of Ely (Cambridgeshire) and Beck Row parish. It was more populous in the past; the war memorial records 17 men lost to Burnt Fen and Kenny Hill in the Great War. The area was depopulated in the 20th century; long-standing residents recall many more houses than now stand.

The name Burnt Fen is said to come from William the Conqueror's "Scorched Earth" policy when dealing with rebels such as Hereward the Wake.

Shippea Hill station was called Burnt Fen station between 1885 and 1904 (it was originally called Mildenhall Road station). It is officially Britain's quietest station with a mere 12 passengers using it every year. Not least because there's only a token single train per day; departing for Norwich at 0730.

Also see Beck Row, Holywell Row, Kenny Hill, Mildenhall and West Row. We have so far been unable to find a map showing the boundary of Burnt Fen, so only the Mildenhall parish boundary appears on our map.

Gallery

History

In 1855 White's Directory a beer house is listed as run by Isaac Cox.

X