Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Chattisham was owned by Henry VIII, who exchanged it in 1532 for the site of a leper hospital on which he built St James's Palace.
Although there are few records of the old beerhouse, it appears on the village sign.
The foundations of a smock windmill dating from 1867 can still be seen near the road towards Hintlesham. It was demolished round about 1950.
The village was recorded in Domesday as "Cedeberia" or "Cetessam".
All the following probably relate to the Beer House.
The 1855 White's Directory lists a brewer called James Gatheroole.
The 1888 Kelly's Directory also lists a beer retailer called George Woods (& blacksmith).
The 1891 Census lists George Woods as a Blacksmith, but not a publican.
The 1891-92 White's Directory also lists a beer retailer called George Woods (& blacksmith).
The 1900 Kelly's Directory also lists a beer retailer called James Rumsey.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.