A large Romano-British Settlement was located here, recorded in Domesday as "Hecetuna", "Hacestuna" or "Haetcetuna". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Hachston". The core of this "small town" was established before the Roman conquest (AD43), and seems to consist of circular buildings, enclosed by ditches and a palisade.
Lower Hacheston is a small settlement to south of main village which is now also divided from the rest of the parish by the A12.
During the later 1st cent. a gravel road was laid out and insubstantial rectangular Roman buildings were erected alongside it. This basic layout continued throughout the Roman period, with a droveway and partial field enclosures to the south. Pottery was manufactured at Hacheston from later 1st to mid 3rd cents, and excavation has found iron smithing debris and related structures. However the site had become extremely impoverished by 370AD with a marked drop in activity.
Early Anglo-Saxon structures have also been found just outside the Roman settlement.
Mill Lane marks the site of a five storey tower mill which was demolished in 1925.
Hacheston Halt was a station on the Framlingham branch line…
In 1844 White's Directory a beer house is listed being run by Chas. Barker (& sweep).
In 1855 White's Directory a beer house is listed being run by Charles Barker (& sweep).
In 1874 White's Directory a beer house is listed being run by Charles Barker (& chimney sweep).
Charles Barker is listed as a chimney sweep, Street, in all the censuses from 1841 to 1871, and Charles Barker [junior] is listed as a blacksmith in the 1881 census.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.