Brandon is an old Breckland town, much expanded by London overspill, lying on a crossing of the river Ouse. Unusually, Brandon still retains the same name recorded in Domesday, though the Bodleian Library's Gough Map (thought to date from about 1400) shows the town as "Brandonfery".
The centre retains many 19th century flint clad buildings, a reminder of a gun flint knapping industry that once employed over 200 people during Napoleonic wars. The flint trade in Brandon dates back at least to Palaeolithic times.
Unfortunately, the town is probably best-known for its traffic congestion. The High Street is on the main route between Newmarket and Norwich and the large amount of traffic (including a lot of HGVs) isn't helped by the fact that the barriers at the railway station spend more time than necessary closed and frequently fail.
A moated iron age village has been excavated below the Remembrance playing fields. Brandon Country Park has woodland walks and picnic areas in 2500 acres laid out by Edward Bliss in 1820s.
There are rabbit-warrens in the sand district about Brandon, but these are neither so numerous or extensive as those on the opposite borders of Norfolk…
Pubs by Street
Henry Spendlove (1855 White's Directory, beer house).
William Daynes (cooper) (1865 Kelly's Directory)Cole Hole.
Thomas Russell (also listed as a watchmaker) (1865 Kelly's Directory).
Walter Snare (1874 White's Directory).
Robert Fendick (1844 White's Directory, beer house).
Mrs Maria Fendick (1865 Kelly's Directory).
Henry Kent (1874 White's Directory) Three Horseshoes?
John Cooper (1844 White's Directory, beer house).
Catherine Capp (1855 White's Directory, beer house).
Henry Moore (1855 White's Directory, beer house).
Charles Farrow (parish clerk)(1865 K…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.