Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Small scattered settlement, recorded in Domesday as "Saham" and on John Speed's 1610 map as "Munekeſoham" The village name means "monks' meadow by a lake".
Formerly it belonged to the monks of Bury, by a gift of Alfric, bishop of East Anglia. It was then granted to Anthony Rous during the 37th year of the reign of Henry VIII and subsequently sold to Lionel Tolmach in about 1560.
An ancient deer park was recorded in the village in a survey of 1575. No visible signs of it remain. A post-medieval windmill used to stand to the north of the village, apparently of an unusual design. It was demolished either in 1937 or the late 1940s (sources differ). Another post medieval-windmill is reported to have stood to the south on Low Road, but no physical evidence exists.
The 1891 Census also lists Frederick Salter (Publican, Great Green, pub not named, Head/Married/25/born Kenton) [Oak?]
The 1891-92 White's Directory also lists F Salter as a beer house keeper. [Oak?]
The 1900 Kelly's Directory also lists John Cracknell as a beer retailer (& miller). [Oak?]
The 1911 Census also lists John Barrett (Innkeeper & Farmer, pub not named, Head/Married/61/born Burgh, Norfolk) [Oak?]
The 1912 Kelly's Directory also lists John Barrett as a beer retailer.
The 1916 Kelly's Directory also lists John Barrett (Beer retailer, pub not named) [Oak?]…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.