Bredfield is a straggling settlement which was recorded in Domesday variously as "Bredefelda","Bredefeld", "Berdefelda", "Bradefella" and "Bredefella". Fortunately for us, the spelling has stabilised since then, though it was once known as Broadfield.
The southern half is located around an old water-pump. To the north are some pretty pink cottages and Bredfield High House (the "castle" which gave the former village pub its name).
Nearby Dallinghoo Wield was the smallest parish in England (38 acres and no population) until local government changes saw it disappear completely.
The 1844 Whites Directory lists a beer house run by James Snell (hurdle maker).
The 1851 Census also lists James Snell (Hurdle Maker & Beer Seller, Beer House, not named, Head/Married/77/born Bruisyard) [Listed next to Moat Farm].
The 1855 Whites Directory lists a beer house run by James Snell (hurdle maker).