Wilby

app
close

Important Covid information

The first tranche of pubs (those able to serve outdoors) have now been allowed to reopen. The rest of our pubs may be permitted to reopen from May 17th.

Pubs providing takeaways continue to be listed on this page.

Those known to have reopened or to be planning to reopen as soon as permitted are listed on this page.

Introduction

Now a dry parish. Recorded in Domesday as "Wilebi" and on John Speed's 1610 map as "Wilbye".

London City Road is apparently so named because it was a stop on an ancient drovers' route between Norwich and London. North of it, on the border with Stradbroke, stood Wilby Station, which was on the Mid-Suffolk Line. It opened in 1904 and closed in 1952.

Gallery

thumbnailthumbnail

History

The1844 White's Directory also lists William Chase (Butchers Arms) as a beer house keeper.

The 1851 Census also shows James Lockwood (Innkeeper & Taylor, Cole St., pub not named, Head/Married/22/born Laxfield) [Swan?]

The1855 White's Directory also lists William Chase (Butchers Arms) as a beer house keeper.

The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists Mrs Mary Chaise as a beer retailer (Butchers Arms)

In 1874 White's Directory also lists William Everitt as a beer house keeper (& cattle dealer) Butcher's Arms

In 1888 Kelly's Directory also lists William Everitt as a beer retailer (& cattle dealer) …

X