Standing in rolling arable land and consisting of a cluster of houses around a crossroads with the church (St Mary) off the southern arm and the hall just 180m to the S of it. The church was thatched until 1842. Nearby, on the edge of Hinderclay wood, were found the remains of an early Iron Age settlement. Roman pottery kilns were found in the wood.
A tower mill used to stand in The Street. It was demolished either in 1920 or 1955 (sources differ on this).
The village was recorded in Domesday as "Hilderclea". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Hindercley".
The 1855 White's Directory also lists a beer house run by John Bracknell (shoemaker & shopkeeper). [John Cracknell, Crown?]
The 1865 Kelly's Directory also lists Henry Mark as a beer retailer. [Listed at Six Bells until 1861, Charles Smith is listed at Six Bells in 1865]
The 1869 Kelly's Directory also lists Mrs Harriett Mark as a beer retailer.
The 1874 White's Directory also lists a beer house run by Edward Carman.
The 1888 Kelly's Directory also lists Charles Silver as a beer retailer.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.