The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
Population (2011) of Hinderclay: 326.
Local licensing authority for Hinderclay is Mid Suffolk.
Standing in rolling arable land and consisting of a cluster of houses around a crossroads with the church (St Mary) off the southern arm and the hall just 180m to the S of it. The church was thatched until 1842. Nearby, on the edge of Hinderclay wood, were found the remains of an early Iron Age settlement. Roman pottery kilns were found in the wood.
At least one pub in addition to the two we record is known to have existed within living memory, but we have no details.
Local magazine the Four Gazette covers the parishes of Hinderclay, Hepworth, Thelnetham and Wattisfield.
A tower mill used to stand in The Street. It was demolished either in 1920 or 1955 (sources differ on this).
The village was recorded in Domesday as "Hilderclea". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Hindercley".
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.