Now a dry parish. This tiny Finn Valley village has just 200 inhabitants who apparently want it to stay dry; a late-20th century attempt to re-establish a pub in the village was dropped due to local opposition.
Playford has the dubious claim to fame as the first place in the country hit by V2 rockets. The first hit the village on October 11th 1944 and a second hit it on October 24th. Fortunately nobody was hurt in either attack.
Playford Hall dates from the late 16th century. It is believed to have been built for Sir Anthony Felton, High Sheriff of Suffolk
Thomas Clarkson, famous for his part in the campaign for the abolition of the slave trade, lived at Playford Hall from 1816 until his death in 1836. His grave and a large memorial (a 5 metre high obelisk) can be seen in the churchyard. The inscription reads
Thomas Clarkson the friend of slaves
Erected 1857 by a few surviving Friends.
Another eminent local was George Biddell Airy, who held the post of Astronomer Royal for nearly 50 years from 1836.
Archaeological evidence of ancient habitation in Playford includes fragments of Roman urns, Romano-British coins, an early Medieval brooch, a Neolithic axe and a Mesolithic macehead.…
The 1888 Kelly's Directory also lists James Mann as a beer retailer.
The 1891-92 White's Directory also lists James Mann as a beer house keeper.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.