Saxtead

app
close

Important Covid information

The first tranche of pubs (those able to serve outdoors) have now been allowed to reopen. The rest of our pubs may be permitted to reopen from May 17th.

Pubs providing takeaways continue to be listed on this page.

Those known to have reopened or to be planning to reopen as soon as permitted are listed on this page.

Introduction

Establishment(s) understood to have reopened (or, at least, reopening before indoors service is permitted).

Please tell us if you know of any pubs ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted that we don't list here.

The small village church (All Saints) contains what is said to be Suffolk's best surviving set of village stocks and whipping post. The village is sometimes spelled Saxted.

Saxtead Green is a large village green about half a mile south of the main village. The well preserved and working post-mill dates from 1860 and is situated rather idyllically on the green. It is now designated an ancient monument. It's on the site of two earlier mills, one built in 1796 and an even earlier one dating from to before 1309. A Roman road once crossed the green and a possible Roman occupation site has been located about half a mile north-east of the pub. Unfortunately there have been some modern developments around the green in recent years.

Saxtead was recorded in Domesday as "Saxteda".

Gallery

thumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnail

History

To the debtors and creditors of John Turtill, late of Saxted, Suffolk, Innholder, deceased, such persons as have hitherto neglected to settle their accounts, due to the estate and effects of John Turtill, deceased, are desired to do so within one month.Ipswich Journal, March 1805**

The 1844 White's Directory also lists a beer house run by Priscilla Thrower.

In the 1861 census Frederick King/28y/Innkeeper/Tuddenham and has house servant & stable boy.

X