Brome may sometimes be written historically as "Broome", which more accurately reflects the way locals pronounce its name. The main village lies some distance to the east of the three hostelries on the main A140. It was recorded in Domesday as "Brom" or "Brum". The church has a collection of works by local sculptor James Williams (1798-1888) and is the the final resting place of the portrait painter, Henry Walton.
The Devil's Handbasin (just off the A140, a short distance north of the Swan) marks a place where reputedly, during time of the Black Death, the local blacksmith didn't want to risk touching the money of travellers whose horses he'd shod, so they had to place their coins in a basin of vinegar. An alternative story suggests it was a tollgate where the keeper similarly had travellers place their coins in a basin of vinegar.