Gedding was recorded in Domesday as "Gedinga" or "Geldinga".
A post mill in the village was demolished in 1940.
The village sign was presented to the village by Gedding Hall resident Bill Wyman, who unveiled it in May 1991. It depicts the coat of arms of Johannes de Geddynge, who lived in the hall until his death in 1293 (the date shown on the sign). Note: de Geddynge took his name from the village, not vice-versa.
Gedding Hall was originally built in 1273, though the present building probably dates from the 15th century.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.