Ashbocking is a small settlement just north of the B1078 (which follows an old Roman road). Virtually the entire village is spread out a long way up the B1077 which runs to Helmingham. A few more houses (including the old Crown beerhouse) lie on another road from Gosbeck to Helmingham, with no direct road between there and the main village.
There are Anglo-Saxon moated manor houses in the church area. The Domesday Book records Ash Manor (Ash Hall), Harneis or Greffield (Poplar Farm) and Manor at Ash Green. Ashbocking itself was variously recorded as "Assia", "Hassa", "Essa" and "Assa".
Ashbocking Hall Farm was built in the early 16th century. It was originally called "Ash Hall" and was owned by the Bocking family who gave the village its name. The moat and foundations date back to the 13th century.
Manor Farm was built in the late 16th century as a Manor House which once had 17 fireplaces; the Georgian front was added in 1809.
Feoffee Farm has records dating back to 1380. The chimneys were added in 1652.…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.