The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
Population (2011) of Ashbocking: 356.
Local licensing authority for Ashbocking is Mid Suffolk.
Ashbocking is a small settlement just north of the B1078 (which follows an old Roman road). Brooke House is the headquarters of the Suffolk Wildlife Trust and James White produce fruit juices in the village.
There are Anglo-Saxon moated manor houses in the church area. The Domesday Book records Ash Manor (Ash Hall), Harneis or Greffield (Poplar Farm) and Manor at Ash Green. Ashbocking itself was variously recorded as "Assia", "Hassa", "Essa" and "Assa".
Ashbocking Hall Farm was built in the early 16th century. It was originally called "Ash Hall" and was owned by the Bocking family who gave the village its name. The moat and foundations date back to the 13th century.
Manor Farm was built in the late 16th century as a Manor House which once had 17 fireplaces; the Georgian front was added in 1809.
Feoffee Farm has records dating back to 1380. The chimneys were added in 1652.
An Iron Age and Romano-British settlement has been uncovered between Ashbocking and Gosbeck. Artefacts found included hut floors, hearths, middens, pottery and a spur. A late Saxon settlement was also found in this area.
The putative Hare & Hounds, probably in Hemingstone, may actually have been in Ashbocking; its precise location vis-a-vis the boundary is uncertain.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.