This attractive Waveney Valley town is centred around the ruins of Bigod's castle and is now by-passed by the A143. It was recorded in Domesday as "Bongeia" or "Bunghea". The fine 17th century Butter Cross in the marketplace shows the former importance of the market which has been held by charter since 1228. Much of the town was destroyed by fire in 1688, which explains the wealth of Georgian buildings. Local industry includes printing, textiles and tourism; Clays is one of the country's biggest printers, producing some 175 000 000 books every year. Nursey's, a famous local producer of sheepskin clothes, closed down at the end of 2014.
Baron Bigod is a well-regarded, unpasteurised soft cheese produced at Fen Farm on Flixton Road. The farm also produces unpasteurised butter and milk; all three can be bought from vending machines at the farm gate.
Bungay Station was on the Waveney Valley Line. It opened in November 1860 and closed in August 1964, though passenger traffic ceased in January 1953. It was replaced by the A143.
Bungay Museum can be found on Broad Street.…
Street-by-street pub list
- Bardolph RdBardolph Rd
- Beccles RdBeccles Rd
- Bridge StBridge St
- Broad StBroad St
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, 31 Aug 1776*** to Henry Yewell, Alehouse-keeper, Bungay
According to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, one brewer was recorded in Bungay between 1500 and 1599. Between 1600 and 1649, there were 2 inn holders, 1 alehouse keeper, 3 beer brewers, 1 vintner and 1 victualler. By 1844 there were 4 beerhouses, 27 hotels/inns/taverns, 2 wine/spirit merchants and 22 public houses.
The 1791 Universal British Directory lists Richard Gisling, John Mayhew, Edward Pitts and Henry Robinson as victuallers.…
Some details from "Suffolk Airfields in WW2" by Graham Smith.