Bury St Edmunds
Bury St Edmunds (or informally, just "Bury") is the third-largest population centre in Suffolk and was, until local government reorganisation in 1974, the administrative centre of West Suffolk. The town appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Burye".
In recent years the Apex theatre, which opened in October 2010, has established itself as probably Suffolk's best live music venue. It was also the venue for an annual East Anglian Beer Festival until 2019. Earlier town beer festivals were held in the old Corn Exchange (now Wetherspoon's) and more recently the cathedral has been used (in August 2021). It's planned that the beer festival will return to the cathedral in future years.
A huge Benedictine Abbey dominated the town and the surrounding area until the dissolution of the 1530s. It had evidently not been a benevolent domination and the clerics were notorious for their extreme edicts and rapaciousness. Such was the resentment the abbey had generated locally that it was quickly destroyed for building material after dissolution. Extensive ruins still remain in the attractive riverside gardens…
Sale of a good Common Brewing-Office, everything in good Repair, consisting of a Copper, Mash-Tun, Coolers, etc that will Brew 22 Comb of Malt, with good Pipes and Hogesheads, all Iron-bound. Enquire of Mr John Cooke, merchant, Bury.Ipswich Journal, April 12th 1746***
To be sold by auction on Mon 11 next inst. On the premises, all the remaining fixtures, casks, beer and brewing utensils of Thomas Patrick, innholder, a bankrupt at his dwelling house in Whitting street, Bury st Edmunds…
Some details from "Suffolk Airfields in WW2" by Graham Smith.