The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
1 Real Ale pub
Population (2011) of Chelmondiston: 1054.
Local licensing authority for Chelmondiston is Babergh.
Chelmondiston, or more informally, "Chelmo", is large village near a bank of the Orwell estuary. Some local buildings including the church were demolished by a World War Two doodlebug. The village appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Chempton".
Pin Mill is a separate settlement within Chelmondiston parish.
Mill Lane marks the location of a large post mill, demolished in 1914. There's still an old steam mill standing nearby.
In 1943, a bombing decoy was built in Chelmondiston (at TM 225 377), though designated Trimley St Martin, to deflect enemy bombing from coastal landing points under construction in preparation for the invasion of Normandy. See Pastscape for more information.
There was a Royal Observer Corps underground monitoring post off Bylam Lane between 1961 and 1991, though little evidence of this now remains.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.