The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
1 putative ex pub
Population (2011) of Cockfield: 868.
Local licensing authority for Cockfield is Babergh.
Cockfield is a large parish comprising nine hamlets, seven of which still have greens of various sizes. Some of the greens date back to the 13th century. Great Green is particularly impressive and lives up to its name well.
The parish was was recorded in Domesday as "Cothefelda" and John Speed's 1610 map shows it as "Cockfeld".
Robert Louis Stephenson was once a frequent visitor and may have written Treasure Island in Cockfield rectory. Bulls wood is a fine example of ancient woodland.
The manor of Cockfield Hall dates from 967 when it was held by Earl Alfan and his daughter Athelfled. They gave it to the Abbot of Bury in 1086 and his successor granted it to the Prior of Bury in 1275. The current Cockfield Hall dates from the 18th century and was partly built from material from the original.
Cockfield Station (on Long Melford to Bury St Edmunds branch line) opened in August 1865 and closed in April 1961. The station building still stands, but sadly has been in a dilapidated state for many years.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.