Coddenham was the site of the county's largest Roman settlement, Combretonium, which stood on the east bank of the Gipping, close to where Baylham Mill now stands. As well as the settlement, there were also two Roman forts nearby. Later, it was a Saxon fort, and a trade and administrative centre. Today it has many attractive 15th century buildings along the main street.
The village was recorded in Domesday variously as "Codenham, "Kodeham" and "Codeham". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Codnham".
Evidence has been found for a late Iron Age or early Roman settlement and field system in the Shrubland Park Estate. Another settlement, mainly 1st century Romano-British, was found at Valley Farm during excavations between 1988 and 1990. There was a large post mill a short distance behind the pub, built in 1810 but demolished in 1909. Lime Kiln Farm (on the Needham Road) is near an 18th or 19th century lime kiln which was some 6m in diameter and 2.5m high.
The 1844 White's Directory lists a beer house run by Thomas Foradike.
The 1855 White's Directory lists 3 beer houses run by Rechard English (bricklayer), Thomas Foradike and Robert Hayward (wheelwright).
In the 1861 census 3 beer houses are listed:
beer house - 1
James Warren/Head/50y/blacksmith/Stonham, Suffolk.
Felder Warren/Wife/50y/Creeling St Marys, Suffolk.
William Warren/Son/21y/Stonham Aspall, Suffolk.
James Warren/Son/14y/Stonham Aspall, Suffolk.
Helena Warren/Daughter/12y/Stonham Aspall, Suffolk.
beer house keeper - 2
Thomas Forsdike/Head/64y/Coddenham, Suffolk - Carpenter & beerhouse keeper.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.