Please tell us if you know of any pubs here ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted.
Cotton is a parish containing several moated farms. One of these, Cotton Lodge, was reputedly used by some of the conspirators in the Gunpowder Plot. The Mechanical Music Museum houses a collection of music boxes, gramophones, organs etc and is open Sundays from June to September.
The old railway station which can still be seen alongside the line at the Station Road bridge, was Finningham station. It actually stands in Bacton, but to complete the confusion, the Railway Tavern was in Cotton. During the construction of the railway in 1849, an Anglo-Saxon cremation cemetery was found in a ballast pit.
Cotton was recorded in Domesday as "Codetun" or "Cottuna".
The 1844 White's Directory lists a beer house run by Allen Selsby (also listed as a bricklayer).
The 1851 Census shows Allan Selsby (Beer Seller & Grocer, Head/Married/51/born Finningham) [Probably the Trowel & Hammer].
The 1855 White's Directory lists a beer house run by Allen Selsby (also listed as a bricklayer & shopkeeper).
The 1891 Census lists William Alexander (Beer & Spirit Merchant & Farmer, Virgina Cottage, Broadway, pub not named, Head/Married/51/born Bacton).
In 1918, the Hartismere licensing records show George William Pethill (surname uncertain, due to poor handwriting) as running a…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.