Creeting St Mary
In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
A number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the Covid-19 lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
The Creetings are a pair of small villages standing in rolling land of mixed cultivation. There were once four churches; St Mary's, St Olave's, St Peter's and All Saints'. The first two were originally small but discrete alien Benedictine priories, but St Olave's (originally a cell of Grestein) had gone by the 17th century. All Saints' parish church was alongside St Mary's, but was blown down by a storm in 1801. Its parishioners subsequently used some of the old fabric to add a north transept to St Mary's in 1802. St Mary's is a flint church with a 12th century doorway in a 15th century porch.
Sand & gravel quarrying at Creeting Hills has unearthed a Neolithic or early Bronze Age settlement, as well as a Bronze Age or Iron Age cremation cemetery and a Roman rubbish tip.
The Creetings were recorded in Domesday as "Cratingis" or "Cratingas".
The 1841 Census also lists:
William Watkins (Publican, Creeting All Saints, pub not named, Head/30/born Suffolk).
Jonathan Hobart (Publican, Creeting All Saints, pub not named, Head/35/born Suffolk).
The 1911 Census lists Mary Ann Whiting (Hotel Manageress, Norwich Road, hotel not named, Daughter/Married/39/born Creeting St Mary) with John Whiting (Retired Farm Labourer, Head/Married/74/born Creeting All Saints) [Might not be a pub/hotel].
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.