A pretty conservation village with several flint and thatched cottages; it's said that Dalham has more thatched cottages than any other Suffolk village.
Unusually the village still retains the same name with which Domesday recorded it. Legend has it that the church spire toppled in a storm at the same time Oliver Cromwell died.
The Duke of Wellington once owned Dalham Hall, as did Cecil Rhodes; but he died and was buried in Africa in 1902 before he could move in. The village hall was built in his memory. Dalham Hall remains privately owned today and dates approximately from 1705 when it was built for the then Bishop of Ely.
Lower Mill was built roughly 1790. It was still in use as late as 1926 and was restored during the 1970s.
Dunstall Green is a small hamlet 2km east of the main settlement.
One notable former resident of Dalham was Mandy Rice-Davies.
The 1844 White's Directory lists William Swann as a beer house keeper (also listed as a shopkeeper) (Dunstall Green).
The 1855 White's Directory lists William Swann as a beer house keeper (also listed as a shopkeeper) (Dunstall Green).
The 1861 census lists James Andrews as a beer seller at Beer House, Dunstall Green Road, and William Swan as a beer seller & grocer at Grocers Shop & Beer House, Dunstall Green.
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists Mrs Ann Swann as a beer retailer (Also listed as a shop keeper) (Dunstall Green).
The 1869 Kelly's Directory lists Mrs Ann Swann as a beer retailer (Also lis…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.