Debenham

app

Introduction

Debenham's village centre has many fine timber-framed buildings and a parish church with fine stonework at the tower base. The village was recorded in Domesday variously as "Depenham", "Depbeham" and "Depleham", and on the Bodleian Library's Gough Map it's shown as "Debeham".

Nearby Aspall Hall is home to the Chevalier family who still produce a popular local cider.

Contrary to popular rumour, the Debenham's chain store had no connection with the village. William Debenham, though a Suffolk native, was actually born in Alpheton.

The Cross (on the junction of Gracechurch Street and the High Street) is a Grade 2* Listed Building dating from some time between1621 and 1668 on the site of a market cross. Originally a market hall, it has also been used as a school and a fire station.

The old police house (on Water Lane) is said to be the oldest surviving police station in the country.

Gallery

thumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnail thumbnail thumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnailthumbnail

History

John Butler, Jun. formerly of Debenham, a Baker and Innkeeper, was one of a number held at Ipswich Gaol for Bankruptcy.Ipswich Journal, May 6th 1769***

The 1830 Pigot's Directory lists Jessop Devereaux as a retail brewer.

The 1851 Census lists Daniel Wyth (Plumber, Glazer, Painter & Beer Seller, pub not named, Head/Married/29/born Handsworth Hill, Essex) and William Wright (Publican, pub not named, Head/Married/56/born Eye).

The 1855 White's Directory lists 4 beer houses run by:

Edgar Butcher.

James Collins the Dove?

Charles Howes.

Robert Simpson.…

Acknowledgements

Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.

X