Dunwich

app
close

Important Covid information

The first tranche of pubs (those able to serve outdoors) have now been allowed to reopen. The rest of our pubs may be permitted to reopen from May 17th.

Pubs providing takeaways continue to be listed on this page.

Those known to have reopened or to be planning to reopen as soon as permitted are listed on this page.

Introduction

Establishment(s) understood to have reopened.

Please tell us if you know of any pubs ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted that we don't list here.

Dunwich was recorded in Domesday as "Duneuuic", and appears on John Speed's 1610 as Dunwiche.

Coastal erosion means that most of this Saxon settlement, which was once a prosperous sea port with up to nine churches, is now almost totally lost. A market was established here in the 9th century but the town's decline really started in the 13th century after the Great Storm of 1286 when many merchants left and the town stagnated. The aftermath of a big storm in 1328 meant that by about 1350 over 400 houses and the harbour had been lost to the sea.

An ancient tunnel is said to run from the Ship Inn to the now ruined Greyfriars' Monastery.

By the early 19th century Dunwich had become a classic "rotten borough", still returning two Members to Parliament despite having a population of barely 20, and was disenfranchised after electoral reform in 1832. Today it is best known for the pub and the local fish and chip cabin set close to the low sand cliffs.

Gallery

thumbnailthumbnail thumbnail thumbnail
X