Set in a valley, with two small greens and one larger central green, Earl Soham was recorded in Domesday as "Saham" and is shown on John Speed's 1610 map as "Erleſoham".
The settlement was once owned by the Bigods, Earls of Norfolk, hence the name. Earl Soham Brewery was originally behind the Victoria, then expanded to new premises a short distance to the east, before moving in 2013 to its current location in Debenham.
Mill Hill marks the site of a late 17th century post mill which worked until 1917 and was demolished in 1947, though some parts were incorporated into a home. Another post mill off Low Road was also demolished in 1947.
The A1120 through the village follows the route of an old Roman road. Unusually for such a road, it isn't completely straight - the kink being due to a lake that was in the way.
The 1844 White's Directory lists a beer house run by Rd. Wightman (also listed as a boot & shoe maker).
The 1865 Kelly's Directory lists James Peper as a beer retailer, [the Victoria?]
The 1874 White's Directory lists a beer house run by William Warne, [the Victoria?]
The 1888 Kelly's Directory lists a beer retailer called Thomas Webber, [the Victoria?]
The 1891-92 White's Directory lists a beerhouse keeper called Thomas John Webber (also listed as a bricklayer), [the Victoria?]
The 1900 Kelly's Directory lists Thomas Webber as a beer retailer, [the Victoria?]…
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.