formerly Limeburners Arms
Real Ale is sold here.
Willisham Rd, IP8 4SF
grid reference TM 073 492
opened about 1850
This is a friendly split level bar with a fish & chip shop/restaurant (eat in or take away) attached. The pub is named after a chalk pit (opposite) which used to contain lime kilns (some photos are on display in pub). There's a large garden and car-park. Buskers play every Sunday night. A quiz is held on the first Thursday of every month. Guest ales change regularly. There's no food on Sunday evening or Tuesdays but there's a Sunday Roast on Sundays
There's a toilet for disabled customers.
The pub is actually located in Willisham parish, though it's geographically nearer to Offton. The convoluted boundary between the two parishes here (see the map) adds to the confusion.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Live music
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Pub sells beer from local brewers
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available
Railway station about 4.6 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
In 1844 and 1855 John Hood is listed in White's Directory as a lime burner and beer house keeper in Willisham. This may have been the origins of the pub?
The building reputedly cost about £800 to build in 1850.
The pub was forced to close temporarily in 2006, when a burst water-main caused the collapse of nearby lime pits, leading to subsidence badly damaging the pub. Happily it re-opened early in 2007.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)