North East, 52.2837,1.30464
Tannington Long Rd (B1118), IP13 8BE
grid reference TM 254 702
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
In October 2019 we heard that the long-threatened closure of this pub had finally occurred. It is to be converted to residential use.
It was a traditional drinking pub in a Suffolk "long house" style building which dates in part from the 16th century.
The main bar retained a splendid barrel shaped lathe and plaster ceiling, tiled flooring and two small settles, whilst the modernised second bar was used as a lounge. There was an open fire in main room and wooden panelling with dado railing throughout.
The conservatory, which was re-floored, was used as a sitting/reading room with comfortable chairs. The old lounge and restaurant was exclusively an eating area with an extensive menu. The food was prepared with all ingredients locally sourced and cooked by the landlord. There was also an excellent bar menu.
There were fish and chip nights every Friday between 5pm and 6.45pm, eat in or take away.
Beer was served on gravity from a wooden back-bar. There was a "coffin hatch" in the lounge.
Dogs were welcome in the main bar and conservatory, as long as they were on a lead.
There was a very well tended garden which was popular in the summer months.
The Crown was one of the very few Suffolk pubs where you could still see poker dice played on the counter and hear genuine High Suffolk Plain accents!
Community pub, recently reopened as a freehouse. Vibrant public bar and lounge/diner. Handpumps are for show - beer is dispensed from the cask.
Beer: Adnams Bitter; guest beer.CAMRA's 1997 Suffolk Real Ale Guide
Auction by the executors of the late B.C. ETHERIDGE Esq - three pubs including - Brundish, by the side of the road leading from Stradbroke to Framlingham & occupied by Mrs Sarah SPURLING.Ipswich Journal, June 7th 1873**
The crown is a simple sign to show loyalty to the reigning monarch and apart from the commonwealth era (1648-60) has been a pub sign for over 600 years.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.