North West, 52.105649,0.418103
Closed Between 1997 and 2007
grid reference TL 657 480
This pub was recorded as open in the Suffolk CAMRA pub guide published in 1997, but was found closed when visited in June 2007. We don't know with any better accuracy than that when it actually closed. If you have any more information please let us know.
A report in the Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald, April 3rd 1883**, refers to "CORNELL's Beer House", Withersfield.
Withersfield: In-Door Beer-House *
Abutting the high road, leading from Haverhil to Thurlow.
The House contains: Tap room, Keeping Room, Parlour, Back Kitchen, Cellar, Pantry and 5 Bed Rooms.
The Out-buildings comprise: Stable, 2 Cart Sheds and Piggeries and gardens front and rear with fruit trees.
Let to Mr. Stephen Cornell.Details of pub premises belonging to the Kedington Brewery estate sold, along with the brewery buildings, by auction, July 13th 1883***
*[Footnote: although not named in this sales document this Public House appears later named the Fox and with the same landlord]
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(***Original source of documentation - Suffolk Records Office – transcribed by Graham Nunn)