The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
grid reference TM 272 489Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 11/04/2019
also traded as as: Cross Quays, Red Cross, Cross Quayhistorical era: 21st century
opened 17th century or earlier
2 Church St, IP12 1DH
A two bar pub which was adjacent to the Town Cross, where it would have been the custom in ancient days for locals to meet in order to obtain news from the travellers who descended from their coach, or to hearken to the words of a local preacher.
It is now an "American-style diner".
NB Not to be confused with another Cross in the town, called Roger's Cross, located where the King's Arms once stood.
Although 1652 is marked on the building, it is thought to be considerably older than this. The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Cross's license was issued in 1652.
The Cross is listed at Stone Street in 1830.
The Inn flourished as The Red Cross in 1652, when Thomas Garthwaite and Elizabeth his wife left by will The Red Cross Inn to provide clothing for poor women and children living in the parish of Blaxhall. Thomas Garthwaite, curate of St. Lawrence, Ipswich, in 1617 was rector of Blaxhall 1652. The landlord of The Cross in 1762 was John Harris (rental £12)
Monday died, at Woodbridge, Mr Francis Moore, of the Cross Inn.Ipswich Journal, December 1830**
The pub is shown (but not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(extracts from a town pub booklet written by David Hague which also includes extracts from Booth's Almanac of 1899)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.