grid reference TM 266 491Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Woodbridge Sekforde Tap
also traded as as: Thomas Seckford, Seckford Armshistorical closure era: 21st century
opened 16th century
76 Seckford St, IP12 4LZ
Some steps led up into a characterful small front bar that then led into a more secluded split level rear bar and seating area to the rear. Two small outdoor seating areas provided additional seating on sunny days - one at the front and a small secluded area accessed from the rear bar.
The current building probably dates from about 1840 when they built the "new" almshouses. The pub was certainly not there before 1830 although several earlier buildings were located close by and were also demolished at about that time. We do not yet know if any beer house was a part of the earlier structures.**
The pub closed early in 2012 and has since been converted to residential use.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Seckford Arms's beerhouse license was issued in 1853. It got a full license on April 17th 1961.
Seckford Street was formerly called Well Street and Fishpond Street - (possibly because of the well which supplied the alms-folk with water).***
No pub is currently known for Well Street except the Queens Head.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** details supplied by Mick Holland)
(*** street name details from a pamphlet called "A DESCRIPTIVE ACCOUNT OF “WOODBRIDGE INNS" by V. B. REDSTONE)