South West, 52.22341,0.88925
Closed after 2000
grid reference TL 974 622
It's shown on this old OS map from 1883. interactive map
This was a distinctive small single bar pub with no cellar; beers were sold from a gravity stillage until they stopped selling real ale. The building is now residential.
Sarah Davis and Ann Smith were convicted of uttering counterfeit coin to Hester Fenton, of the Plough Inn, Woolpit. Constable John Rednall found Smith in a tent in bed with a man named Joseph Mead. Under their bed he found, on removing a piece of turf which had recently been cut, a parcel of coin, (which, on being examined by a Mr Gudgeon, silversmith, was pronounced bad.) Smith and Davis were sentenced to 12 months imprisonment.Bury & Norwich Post, August 20th 1828** (when Heston Fenton was the landlord)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.