North East, 52.22447,0.88832
opened 1625, possibly earlier
The St, IP30 9QN
grid reference TL 973 624
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
Parts of the pub date from the 15th century with a carriage arch providing a reminder of earlier (coaching) times. Further extensions & renovations were carried out in 1826 & the present brick front (Woolpit red bricks) was added about then. Occasionally open on Sunday eve for quiz nights.
The Swan never reopened after the Covid-19 lockdown and was confirmed to have closed permanently in mid-2022.
Simon Boldero, from the Swan Inn, has now taken the Ship Inn in Woolpit.Ipswich Journal, 29 Oct 1774***
Simon Heaselwood, late Servant to the Rev. Mr. Ray of Tostock, has taken the Swan Inn, in Woolpit.Ipswich Journal, 19 Nov 1774***
Woolpit horse fair – will be held on Tues 16, Wed 17 and Thur 18th inst. The peddling fair and fair for scotch beasts on Fri 19 and Sat 20 … A petty sessions also being held… Proper accommodation will be provided at the inns… Simon Hazellwood at the Ship, William Sparke at the Swan and Ambrose Taylor at the Crown.Ipswich Journal, 13 Sep 1783
On Mon 9 inst a match of cricket will be played on Woolpit green between gentlemen of Needham and gentlemen of Woolpit for a considerable bet…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.