Wortham Manor House
Wortham Manor House
North West, 52.35203,1.05622
Currently closed - may reopen?
Closed Oct 2020
Bury Rd (A143), IP22 1PX
grid reference TM 082 770
pub & Thai restaurant
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
Re-opened and renamed as The Manor House. Thai menu available for eat in or take away. Also English menu - steaks, burgers etc.
The pub stands the original Bury-Diss road (now bypassed), opposite the large village green. It still has a nice old Lacon's plaque in the wall.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome: On leads in bar
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Live music
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Newspapers available
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Smoking area
- Traditional pub games available: Pool
Railway station about 3.7 miles away (see transport links for details)
Also reported in Long Green.
The Ipswich Journal, 3 Jun 1837*** reported that Robert Koipe COBBOLD of the Eye Brewery was retiring from business & was looking to sell various Inns & Public Houses including the Dolphin, Wortham Green.
Israel Chapman of Wortham, was found guilty of refusing to quit the Dolphin Inn when requested to do so by the landlord, Strange Chapman, he was further charged with assaulting the landlord at the same time and place. This was the prisoners third conviction during the past year and received a 30s fine or 21 days imprisonment, he was committed in default of payment. Ipswich Journal, Apr 1880**
A dolphin is seen as a friendly animal that would help ancient mariners by twining itself round the anchor cable in a storm to prevent the anchor dragging. It also features in many coats of arms including the Fishmongers Company and the Company of Watermen. In France from the 14th cent. the eldest son of the king was known as "le dauphin".
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.