Closed between 1970 and 2000
The St (B1456)
grid reference TM 221 362
The closure date is unknown, but it's listed in the Orwell licensing records at least as late as 1973.
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
The sign was usually of a long military boot made famous by the Duke of Wellington. In 1830 he was Prime Minister when the the Beer Act was introduced to help create Beer Houses - a new lower tier of premises permitted to sell alcohol. Under the 1830 Act any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in their home (usually the front parlour) and even brew on the premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits or fortified wines.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.