app

Aldeburgh Black Horse

Aldeburgh Black Horse

Closed about 1974

opened 1843?

257 High St

grid reference TM 463 561

Local rumours suggest that this old pub, on the edge of the marsh, was once a centre for local smugglers.

The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Black Horse's beerhouse license was issued in 1843. It got a full license on February 6th 1961.

The building seemed to have been abandoned for some years and was looking quite derelict, but round about 2018 it was renovated and extended as can be seen in our latest photograph.

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

X