Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Bungay Fleece Inn
Bungay Fleece Inn
formerly Cross Keys
Real Ale is sold here.
8-10 St Mary's St, NR35 1AX
grid reference TM 336 897
This 15th Century pub was re-opened in 2016 after refurbishment by the new owner. Featuring exposed beams and low ceilings, the pub is bright and airy with several areas for eating and drinking including an upstairs dining room, which can be booked for special occasions. The guest ales are normally from local breweries.
Access for disabled customers is at the rear of the pub, via Castle Orchard.
Originally called the Cross Keys and known to have been built before 1500, the pub got its present name some time before 1711.
- Accessible to disabled customers: Via rear entrance
- Beer festivals
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area: courtyard at rear
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome: bar, lounge and snug
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Function room available to hire
- Live music: twice monthly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Parking: at rear of pub
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- WiFi available
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
Re-opened in 2016 after refurbishment by the new owner.
Also listed at Olland St and Upper Olland St (in 1830), and in Market Place in 1881.
Reported in the Ipswich Journal in May 1855 that at the Bungay Petty Sessions, John Gooch, of Halesworth was charged with damaging a coat belonging to Mr James Martin, of the Fleece Inn, Bungay. In evidence it appeared that Gooch had three bottles of porter and then refused to pay for them. Martin remonstrated with Gooch who "blustered and talked a good deal, and taking hold of the skirts of Mr Martin's coat, rent it quite up the back." Gooch was fined 30s and 6s costs, which he paid immediately.Ipswich Journal, May 1855**
In 1888 listed as commercial hotel & posting house.…
The fleece is a common reference to the wool trade that was very important in Suffolk, particularly in 17th & 18th cent. until cheap imports from the colonies undermined the trade.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)