The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
grid reference TM 336 897
opened before 1500email us
- Mon-Thu: 1100-2200
- Fri-Sat: 1100-2300
- Sun: 1200-2200
- Mon-Thu: 1200-1500, 1800-2100
- Fri-Sat: 1200-1500, 1800-2130
- Sun: 1200-2000
regular real ales
2 changing guests, usuallly from local breweries.
listed building grade II
Local licensing authority for Bungay is East Suffolk
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 26/01/2019
previously known as: Cross Keys
Real Ale is available here
8-10 St Mary's St, NR35 1AX
An impressive timbered building directly opposite the church and war memorial.
Access for disabled customers is at the rear of the pub, via Castle Orchard.
Originally called the Cross Keys and known to have been built before 1500, the pub got its present name some time before 1711.
This 15th century pub was re-opened in 2016 after refurbishment by the new owner. Featuring exposed beams and low ceilings, the pub is bright and airy with several areas for eating and drinking including an upstairs dining room, which can be booked for special occasions. The guest ales are normally from local breweries.
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Traditional pub games available
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
WiFi available (a charge may apply)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
The fleece is a common reference to the wool trade that was very important in Suffolk, particularly in 17th & 18th cent. until cheap imports from the colonies undermined the trade.