Bungay Green Dragon
Bungay Green Dragon
formerly Horse & Groom
Beers for collection can be ordered on the website. Food is also available.
Real Ale is sold here.
29 Broad St, NR35 1EE
grid reference TM 334 899
Originally called the Horse and Groom, this is the home of the Green Dragon brewery and is located on the northern edge of town. Its ales are brewed in outbuildings next to the car park at the rear. Seasonal ales are often available. There is a public bar and a spacious lounge with a side room where families are welcome leading to the garden. Occasional food nights and live music.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area: small garden surrounded by hop hedge
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Camping or caravan site nearby: (approximately 2000m)
- Cider (real draught, not keg) available: Harleston
- Dogs welcome
- Family friendly
- Live music: occasional
- Parking: small car park
- Pub sells beer from local brewers
- Smoking area: garden
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available
Nearest railway station
Cricket match – Bungay against Norfolk and Suffolk – will be played on Bungay common for 11 pair of gloves.. to be given gratis on Mon 23 Aug… admirers of that manly game is humbly requested by their obedient servant Samuel Smith at the Horse and Groom.Ipswich Journal, 14 Aug 1784
Died on the 11th, at Bungay, sincerely regretted, aged 69, Mr Issac Sadd, late landlord of the Horse and Groom.Ipswich Journal. April 1850**
At the Bungay Petty Sessions held in June 1895, harry Ward, a fish hawker of Bungay was found guilty of refusing to quit the Horse and Groom Inn, when requested to do so by landlord, George Warman. Fined 16s including costs. Ipswich Journal, June 1895**
Called the Horse & Groom until 1991.
The green dragon may be a reference to the Earl of Pembroke and appears on their coat of arms. William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk was an important medieval English soldier and commander in the Hundred Years' War and later Lord Chamberlain of England. He was created Earl of Pembroke in 1447 and Duke of Suffolk in 1448.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)