also traded as Hound
Closed late 19th century
Upper Brook St
grid reference TM 164 445 (approximate location)
Known to have existed at least as early as 1637, this was one of only 24 inns recorded on a town assessment of 1689.
[...] probably the oldest Ipswich Inn with which we are acquainted, is mentioned as standing in Brocstrete (Brook Street) in the parish of Saint Margaret, facing the east end of what is familiarly known as the Butter Market, and which was designated, and continued to be so until the present century, by the sign of " The Greyhound." It was always a house of importance, and in its earliest days was of great extent as it included two separate holdings, which appear in the Rental as " Will's Building [undecipherable] pro una parte terre que fait quonda le Greyhound" and " Relic ta RobH Fabr' pro secunda parte terre d'ci le Greyhund." In an assessment of the Town property (1689) …
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, November 1st 1729***, to Knightly Wood at the Greyhound Wine-Cellar in Brook-street, Ipswich?
To be sold, The Hound in St Margaret's Parish.Ipswich Journal, May 18th 1745***
Joseph Cuthbert who designs to leave the Hound Publick House, on St Matthew's Green, Ipswich at Michaelmas next.Ipswich Journal, September 14th 1745***
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)