grid reference TM 163 444Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 30/12/2019
Ipswich Sun Inn
also traded as as: Rising Sunhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed about 1917
17 St Stephen's Ln
A Tudor residence converted to an inn in the early 18th century. It was used extensively by drovers and cattle-dealers after the old cattle market took over a nearby site used previously as a Timber Market.
The building dates from the 16th century, with many subsequent alterations.
These premises were listed in the 1844 White's Directory with carriers operating from the inn to Diss.
In the late 1880s, the building was much reduced in size when Dog's Head Street was widened and straightened for trams.
For many years after closing it was used as an antique shop by Mr Silburn and others.
In modern times it was a book shop for a long time, before falling empty for many years, only being renovated and re-opened as a shop in the early-2010s. At the end of 2016, it's again empty and on the market.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(detailed information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)