Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Ipswich White Lion
Ipswich White Lion
Closed 1923 or later
24 Bridge St
grid reference TM 163 439
The White Lion was located on the south bank of the Orwell, close to the water's edge on Bridge Street, immediately to the west of Stoke Bridge. It first appears in Ipswich borough records in 1562 during the reign of Elizabeth I (1558 - 1603) when the owner was a "Mr. MADOCKE" and it was noted "water at back gate". It appears not to have been a very large house at that time.
The pub building was demolished in 1924 when the Stoke bridge was widened.
It has been reported to have closed in 1913, but the Borough Police licensed premises register still listed it as late as 1923, so the earlier date may be incorrect.
It's also listed at Dock Street (1839) and at Stoke Street.…
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, January 13th 1770*** to the White Lyon, near Stoke Bridge, Ipswich.
widow, Martha Askew, at the White Lion Inn, St Peter's Parish, Ipswich, requesting the customers of her late husband to continue using the inn.Ipswich Journal, 28 Jun 1777***
The pub was rebuilt in 1819 and from 1835 to 1873 was run by a Noah HAMBLING.
In 1823 - 24, its owner/publican was a T. TAYLOR.
To be sold by auction the White Lion, with stable, yard, and wharf adjoining, freehold, situated in the parish of St…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Peter S. Wyant)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.