Ipswich Angel Inn
Ipswich Angel Inn
opened 15th century?
15 Angel Ln
grid reference TM 167 441
A long established inn, these premises were listed in the 1844 White's Suffolk Trades Directory with carriers operating from the inn to Bucklesham. By late 1870s it had become rather run-down.
It was eventually demolished to make way for the municipal Fore Street Baths which opened in 1906. The baths are still in regular public use.
This was reputedly once a popular venue for Cistercian monks and one of the refreshment stops for perambulation processions - notably by St Clements parishioners at Rogation-tide.
A report in the Ipswich Journal, June 19th & 26th 1725***, makes reference to George Culliford selling wine by the Gallon at the sign of the Angel on the Key at Ipswich…
Auction of the Angel Inn in St Clement's, Ipswich, neatly fitted up, containing a good substantial house and out-houses, with a large paved yard, where several stage wagons may stand and be safely lock' up, together with good new-built stabling for near Thirty horses, and all freehold, in the occupation of William Burroughs. This inn stands convenient for all wagons etc. that pass in St Clement's, also for the stages to and from the Common-quay, for which it was principally erected, and on account of the frequent robberies of said stages, whilst they stand exposed in the night time...Enquire of Mr. Samuel Dale in St Clement's Parish. Also to be sold, ...in a separate lot, a large garden adjoining to the above premises.Ipswich Journal, 25 Mar 1780***
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)